PDA

View Full Version : Question for Military Peoples

Molly
06-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Ok I'm really Military ignorant and I won't hide it. I'm too much of a wimp to be in the military.

Here's my question/story. I bought a shirt at the PX that has ARMY across the chest in reflective lettering. I was running out of shirts (my other shirts hadn't shown up yet and I hadn't figured out how to use the laundry service) so I just grabbed one. I was wearing it yesterday and I got stopped and completely bitched out by an Army personnal hanging around outside my shop. I was inside my compound (we're seperate from the military) and I was just going to chow. Anyway, he told me I wasn't allowed to wear the shirt without the complete uniform (I guess it's a PT shirt?) and even though I'm a civilian doesn't exclude me from the rule.

Has anybody heard of this or have an info on it?? I think this is the stupidest thing I've heard. Just because I had on a shirt and blue jeans I got chewed out??

Promethious
06-27-2004, 03:16 PM
He was prob trying to trick you into taking the T-shirt off. Geez molly I have never heard of anyone getting into as much drama as you. Its just craziness

Molly
06-27-2004, 03:34 PM
It's hard not to get into drama being a female over here. Although I have now changed my shower time to avoid having a breast exam. :)

sammage
06-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Marines are strict about that, I didn't know the Army was

Gsx2Nv
06-27-2004, 04:42 PM
I am in the army and it cannot be worn unless u have the pt shorts or pants on and if u got the pants on u have to have the jacket. it is a rule and they dont take it likely at teh bases i have been to

87Saleen209
06-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Because you are in an Army compound you cannot be distinguished between civilian or military when you are wearing an Army T-shirt and because you are wearing the Army shirt it will make them look bad because it is out of uniform. Even though they may know who you are as a civilian there is no way for outsiders to know that you are a civilian. You'll just have to suck it up... sorry... IMO

Molly
06-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I have to carry ID on me at all times (a badge) that says I'm a contractor. But I guess I can kinda see their point. I still don't really get it if I'm in the TCF compound, but ok. I saw a couple people today wearing the shirt with black pants, but no jacket. Is that what you meant by pants? Military don't carry a badge so I am always identified. I dunno, they should put a sign next to those shirts :P

QwikEVO
06-27-2004, 05:42 PM
I dunno what I'd do if I saw someone wearing our AIR FORCE PT stuff. I'd probably just look the other way. I guess since the Army and Marines have an actual uniform and we just have the shirt/shorts, I guess they take it pretty serious, just like if I saw a civilian wearing a BDU shirt with stripes/patches on it. That sh*t really pisses me off...especially in a military town like Wichita. I don't know how many kids I've told to take the rank off their sleeves if they're going to wear a BDU shirt.

jrCobra
06-27-2004, 06:44 PM
It's really two-fold. Most military people I know state the reasons above AND the fact that you have to earn the right to wear a shirt that has anything to do with that particular branch of the military. I know people that get pretty pissed when they see someone they know who never served in the military wear a shirt with an insignia or just the word on a shirt.

I've got tons of shirts that were either given to me as gifts or given as hand me downs that have sentimental value that I just won't wear because of that. :(

QwikEVO
06-27-2004, 06:55 PM
The service t-shirts and PT gear don't bother me.

It's wearing the uniform that I wear every day as a fashion statement or as just your every day clothes that bothers me. I can't even begin to recollect how many kids I see wearing the BDU top, or even the pants. I mean it's menial in the large scheme of things, it just really peeves me. I mean you don't see people wearing Taco Bell or McDonald's uniforms around to school or the mall or whatever...if they do, they must need some help.

If you like camoflauge so much, join the military. You'll wear it EVERY DAY!

04SloSnake
06-27-2004, 06:58 PM
I don't see the problem but my recruiter has told me this stuff will happen. I don't really understand it yet but its just one of those things. I know the Marines are really strict with their uniforms, but pt gear is pt gear, its just shorts and a shirt. I know we have just plain green pt gear, so you wouldn't want to wear ours anyways. I have heard stories of guys on Marine bases being yelled at for not being in proper civilian attire just going to the commissary or px, and I've seen guys here coming into the commissary with all kinds of torn up clothes. Its different with the different forces I guess, but its just one of those things.

04SloSnake
06-27-2004, 06:59 PM
If you like camoflauge so much, join the military. You'll wear it EVERY DAY!

Yeah and we got the cool looking digital camoflauge. :yup:

QwikEVO
06-27-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm sure the Marines and Army are more ate up about uniforms and stuff. I just hope you don't become a HUUUUUAHHHH robot dude.

04SloSnake
06-27-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm sure the Marines and Army are more ate up about uniforms and stuff. I just hope you don't become a HUUUUUAHHHH robot dude.

Thats more of an Army thing, we say hoorah. I don't get into that stuff to much, but the yelling thing is kinda fun right now. We'll see if I say the same thing in 3 weeks. I lost my voice with the DI yesterday and that was only the group talking to him for 30 mins.

Molly
06-27-2004, 07:03 PM
We weren't even issued BDU's or DCU's so we don't really have that problem. I did go back down to the PX and bought a 3 pack of the brown undershirts. Gee, I hope I don't get yelled at for wearing that. I am thinking of ordering a set of DCU's just to blend in a little better. However, I have packed the Army shirt away and am thinking of doing it with the Air Force shirt I bought. I thought they might also like knowing that the civilians here are supporting them. 98% of the Army personnal have been real jerks to me whereas 2% of Air Force guys have. Is there that big of a difference in services and personalities??

*note* I'm not trying to offend any army guys on here, just asking.

QwikEVO
06-27-2004, 07:05 PM
the Air Force is generally more laid back...hence why our 'sister' services like to give us crap.

And if you get harassed for wearing a plain brown t-shirt OMG they need help.

04SloSnake
06-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Don't worry, its just the army. I've had the same experiences with the army guys I've talked to. They just think they are better then everyone else so just don't take them serious.

Molly
06-27-2004, 07:14 PM
One of my buddies is in the Army (freshly back from Iraq) and I noticed the Army changed him some so that he's more of a hardass and more stuck up. I just try to avoid dealing with the Army guys anymore, but it's kinda hard when they are our customers and are calling me for help. Sometimes I get an Air Force guy from an air base and he's always very nice and polite. The Army guys call and bitch me out even if it's their fault and they are asking me for help. :dunno:

87Saleen209
06-27-2004, 07:22 PM
The Army is just a little more strict on uniform stuff.. that's all..

sammage
06-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Ooh-rah is Marines lol

QwikEVO
06-27-2004, 07:25 PM
HOOAHHH OOORAHHH... HUAAHAHHAHHH

whatever it's all cro-magnum talk.

sammage
06-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Cro-magnon to you Rustin :haha:

QwikEVO
06-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah, got Magnum on my mind. Saw one on TV today. :yummy:

jrCobra
06-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, got Magnum on my mind. Saw one on TV today. :yummy:

Magnum P.I.

Rusty luvs teh Tom Sellek! :P

79Cutlas
06-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Thats kinda funny Molly, I would have told him to eat **** and read my badge. We had civilians on the flightline all the time at McConnell, actually more of civi-reserves, but they're not in uniform, they'd be wearing a gortex jacket wrong or a hat in a building and some ate up E-5+ would start yelling at them. They'd usually just tell the guy to get bent. Personally, I dont care where you are, YOU are not part of the armed services, you do not have to follow their rules other than for your own personal saftey or unless outlined in something from the company you work for. Keep in mind we're only talking about dress and appearance here. If I were you I'd get some DCU's, cut them into shorts and make the shirt a tanktop with little pink "ranks" on the sleeves...

Air Force people are less ate up, we're not as strict as the other branches and this fully explains why 95% of us are normal once we get out.

I fully agree with Rusty, I hate seeing people wear BDU's in public with them cut into shorts with rank still on them. There was a captain in the Air Force who sold his uniforms to a surplus store, rank, names, everything. Some jackass bought them and robbed a bank wearing it, on the front page of the paper was a huge pic of this guy wearing the BDU shirt, guys name, rank, and even a squadron patch....I wont tell people to remove anything from a BDU shirt, cause most of them are people I would never even speak to..

Hoosier Daddy
06-27-2004, 11:55 PM
US Air Force are just laid back lazy-asses really (at least i am). We aren't really "HARDCORE HUAHH AIR FORCE!!!" Besides, everytime I hear that damn HUAH, all i can think about yelling back is DUH!!! Gets on my damn nerves. The base i went to in kuwait had a bunch of army guys over there, and damn were they annoying. They always made sure you knew they were ARMY! Oh, unless they were using the Air force pool, or rec center, or basketball court, or computer room, then they would be buddy-buddy. Nothing against the other services, cuz they do the sh1t i don't want really care for. But they can be real dicks, especially overseas.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I would say the real problem is with the Army, that is unless you piss off a Marine. The Marines I know are usually laid back too, they just enjoy blowing sh!t up.

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:19 AM
They've already got you brainwashed... :dontknow:

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:22 AM
What makes you say that?

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:26 AM
In my experience, the Marines are WAY worse than the Army is. But that's just my 4 1/2 years in the service I guess. They're laid back NOW...just wait until your the little ole Private...then you'll find out just how "laid back" a Marine really is.

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Ya, marines are FAR from laid back. Come to think of it...when i was in tech school, i saw the marines off base 1 time, and it was for the Marines birthday.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Hey I'm going in PFC and it just depends on what they are worse at. They talk a lot of sh!t, but thats funny because nobody wants to mess with them.

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:29 AM
you do know what PFC means right? PRIVATE First Class. You will still be a Private.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:31 AM
So at least I won't be at the bottom, but actually you don't have to be very high rank to get in charge in the Marines I've noticed. Depends on your job, but I know a lot of E-4s that have a lot of people under them.

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:32 AM
That's just like going into the Air Force as an AIRMAN first class...E-1 til E-3, everyone still thinks ur pretty much an idiot. Thank god i finally get E-4 so i can at least be Senior idiot.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Hey at least make me think it will be better.

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:34 AM
I know a few E-4's with people under them as well. I was one. You're still in the lower echelon of ranks, so you're still not counted upon as much as a NCO is. Boy did I ever learn that the hard way as soon as I put on SSgt (E-5)

79Cutlas
06-28-2004, 12:36 AM
I know a few E-4's with people under them as well.

I had 4 under me when I was in, hell if you really want to get technical I ran the office, even the E-6 was calling me 4 months after I was out asking how to fix/run things around there....

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:36 AM
Man, i remember before I came in all the fun I was about to have....now that i'm in, i found out my recruiter was full of ****...

EDIT: when did you tack on SSgt?

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:40 AM
I know a few E-4's with people under them as well. I was one. You're still in the lower echelon of ranks, so you're still not counted upon as much as a NCO is. Boy did I ever learn that the hard way as soon as I put on SSgt (E-5)

I know that you really have no rank, but with my job there will be guys of a lot higher rank depending on me. Thats one nice thing about a good ASVAB score, you can pick good jobs.

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:41 AM
EDIT: when did you tack on SSgt?

I thought you already knew that, jackie...

April 1st. :beems:

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:43 AM
Ha, i called for you the other day asking for Airman Smith...I had no idea you actualy tacked it on. Oh well, i'm on mids, i don't give a damn about anyone on days... :cheers:

EDIT: Air force guys are super cool :up: Army guys are not :down:

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:45 AM
yeah that's SARGENT SMITH now AIRMAN!!!! LOL

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:48 AM
yeah that's SARGENT SMITH now AIRMAN!!!! LOL

At least this soon to be SrA can spell sergeant. :turbin:

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:49 AM
facted.

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:49 AM
facted.

:yup: :up:

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:51 AM
:EDIT: Air force guys are super cool :up: Army guys are not :down:

:yup: But Marines own all your guys' faces.

QwikEVO
06-28-2004, 12:52 AM
I'm not EVEN getting into this p*ssing match.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Like I said its funny

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Well you have fun sleeping in a fox hole in 140 degree heat, while my happy ass in sleeping in a nice Air conditioned tent.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 12:57 AM
I will have fun doing it because I'll still be wearing an EGA. And yes I'm still just messing around.

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 12:59 AM
it's ok, cuz i enjoy have a social life and not being brainwashed...hence why i didn't join the marines, and talked my little bro out of it...but more power to ya for wanting to do it.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 01:02 AM
I'll still have a social life, but I'll also have something to impress the girls. Theres just something about the title MARINE, they seem to like it.

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 01:13 AM
I'll still have a social life

Keep thinking that...have fun in the marines....you'll see.

EDIT: I'm glad ur going in and everything, fighting for this country, but the reality is whatever the recruiter is telling you is most likely be exaggerated. AF did it to me and alot of people I know. Don't let it change your mind. Just don't expect a life of non-stop fun and women flocking to you. In towns where Marines/Army/Air force bases/posts are, alot of girls won't even touch a guy if they find out you are military. Happened to me in Wichita Falls, San Antonio, and even here. Not so bad here as the other 2 places...but you get the idea. Only takes 1 bad apple to spoil it for the group.

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 01:17 AM
I know a lot of Marines with social lives, its still one of the armed forces. They work from 5:30-4 or 5 everyday, just like other branches.

sammage
06-28-2004, 01:22 AM
Marines are laid back....in our Reserve unit they were (as long as an officer wasn't around)...but in the Fleet, they're a lil more strung up, it'll be awhile before you'll be calling an E-7 "Gunny" lol, they'll chew your ass out

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 01:27 AM
I understand all that, but there are certain things that are the same in all services.

I wouldn't call him Gunny, but I'll laugh at all the idiots who will. You know there will be some.

sammage
06-28-2004, 01:32 AM
But then again, my shop chief was always Gunny, and he insisted Corporal Jones be called "Doctah Jones" like from Indiana Jones

Hoosier Daddy
06-28-2004, 01:35 AM
Marines are laid back....in our Reserve unit they were (as long as an officer wasn't around)...but in the Fleet, they're a lil more strung up, it'll be awhile before you'll be calling an E-7 "Gunny" lol, they'll chew your ass out

dude, i dunno how it is with the marines, but Active duty AF and Air natl guard/air reserve are 2 TOTALLY different worlds. The tampons, weekend warriors, whatever you wanna call em are ALOT more lax than the active duty side. I'd assume its the same in other services

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 01:35 AM
Gotta love rank. MSGT doesn't even call his Marines by rank, he just uses their last names, but they never use his name.

shoulinpanther
06-28-2004, 04:34 AM
Damn what a debate, all I can say is that I am glad that I am in the Air Force and not in the other branches. Everyone does their part but I like the luxory that we get. Other than that, have fun in the Marines I know few that are allright but that is just because I grew up with them but they are still jarheads to me and you will figure it out soon enough that being a Marine or in the military doesn't help you with the chicks unless you are looking for alot of the dumb ones that don't know anybetter. I am not trying to bust your balls here because it is good that you are joining the military because not everyone will do it. :up:

Molly
06-28-2004, 08:12 AM
I thought I'd throw this in. I've met 1 marine and he later ended up attacking me and attempted rape (Yes, that one). Therefore I have a bad perception of Marines now b/c this guy was all about Marines. "I was a MARINE. I like to kill people. I will kill you..." etc. The funny thing is that with my job I had to have a rank in case I was taken POW or kidnapped. It's now Captain DeWayne :) I'm pretty sure Bud is above me as far as rank goes. I'm not really sure how they determine rank for this job, but ok.

I just got transfered to a new shift (4pm - 12am) because the guy I worked with has a bad personality and cusses at customers (hence why he's on nights) so they wanted to get me away from him and his fits. Personally, I would never cuss out any military person no matter how stupid their question (and I've heard some stupid ones already....for those overseas..."Tech Control is NOT an operator!!")! I have respect for anyone in the military because I know my sorry ass wouldn't make it. But back on track, I had my puppy dog (This dude follows me everywhere and pretty much I could put a leash on him) go to the PX and get me 2 cases of Red Bull :). I just got off shift 7 hours ago and I'm already back on for another 8. Gotta love 16 hour days!

Oh yeah, and the have nicknamed me Bud's Muffin, although they now call me Muffin for short. It's sticking like crazy. I think they have forgotten my real name. :rolleyes: It's even made it to where Bud is and now all the guys up there are calling me that! Ugh.

Lessk
06-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Molly Muffin

Has a ring to it. :P

budguy1967
06-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Molly, how difficult is it to work other peoples shifts? How difficult would it be to save the $30 daily per diem?

ALLEN
06-28-2004, 10:01 AM
it's the muffin girl

79Cutlas
06-28-2004, 10:19 AM
They work from 5:30-4 or 5 everyday, just like other branches.

uhmm damn thats a long day, I worked from 7-3 with a 2 hour lunch and plenty of smoke breaks....

As far as "impressing the women". Good luck, I'm sure you'll have your stay in ol Camp Lejune, there's some dumb hoes that flock to Marines, but there's soo many more that wont even talk to you. I know in Raliegh, NC they wont even let Marines in any of the nightclubs, I had to explain that I was in the Air Force and just visiting before they'd let me in.....I'm glad you're joining, but do yourself a favor, never listen to that recruiter...hell just kick him in the sack before you leave, cause you'll never see him agian.

Molly
06-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Molly, how difficult is it to work other peoples shifts? How difficult would it be to save the $30 daily per diem?
Not quite getting what you're getting at? Maybe it's the 4 Red Bulls kicking in.

budguy1967
06-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Guess I am saying, Do your coworkers ask you to work their shifts very often? Can you work overtime very often?

Molly
06-28-2004, 12:22 PM
We were on OT and then we got more people so they took us off and right now we aren't allowed to do OT. We don't cover shifts unless someone goes on leave. There really isn't a need to, it's not like there's a lot to do. Most of the guys out here are really upset we got our hours cut (I had 112 last pay period). They want to work as much as they can.

The Weez
06-28-2004, 03:56 PM
I have a pair of camo cargo shorts, and I look badass in them. :pimp:

heh My brother is joining the army, we make fun of him b/c I said when he joined he'd start using "military lingo" that most military folks use, and some act like they're cool b/c nobody knows what they're talking about. He's already started using the lingo. :D

04SloSnake
06-28-2004, 04:03 PM
I don't think anybody got that the picking up girls thing was a joke. If you guys knew me you'd know I don't need to pick up girls. The way I see it the Marines were the best option for me for a lot of different reasons. Molly, I know you had a bad experience with one former Marine, but we're definately all like that. That guy is section 8 and probably was discharged so we don't even want him. I like all of the services, but I like the Marine Corps the most.

redlobster
06-28-2004, 04:29 PM
I don't think anybody got that the picking up girls thing was a joke. If you guys knew me you'd know I don't need to pick up girls. The way I see it the Marines were the best option for me for a lot of different reasons. Molly, I know you had a bad experience with one former Marine, but we're definately all like that. That guy is section 8 and probably was discharged so we don't even want him. I like all of the services, but I like the Marine Corps the most.

your all like the marine that gave her a horrible experience?

87Saleen209
06-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Yellow VDub... hope it works out for you. Some people can handle it. I've had my bad experiences around Marines and don't really care for them, but they are brave and fight hard so I have a respect for them. Do what you gotta do...

MyLittlePwny
06-28-2004, 08:46 PM
(Jess) Taylors girl is cool as hell! id hafta kick his a$$ if he tried pickin up any other chicks.

Last Person
06-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Ahahah, i was reading that, and was gonna quote it too.

Mistype owndeded taylor.

But...gg taylor, and all the other marine/army/airforce/navy ppl. Thanks for keeping teh country and my kiddo safe :usa:

04SloSnake
06-29-2004, 12:04 AM

whoops

Hoosier Daddy
06-29-2004, 12:32 AM
heh My brother is joining the army, we make fun of him b/c I said when he joined he'd start using "military lingo" that most military folks use, and some act like they're cool b/c nobody knows what they're talking about. He's already started using the lingo. :D

You mean like here soon i'm gonna be going TDY, then shortly after i'm gonna use my BOP to PCS. Last week my flight chief gave me an LOR, to go along with my 4 LOC's and my UIF. After my TDY i'm gonna cross-train into ATC, which has an SRB of 4, so i get a big bonus. :P

79Cutlas
06-29-2004, 06:26 AM
. Last week my flight chief gave me and LOR, to go along with my 4 LOC's and my UIF. After my TDY i'm gonna cross-train into ATC, which has an SRB of 4, so i get a big bonus. :P

You sure about that? Better make sure you dont have to have a clean record to be ATC...if I remember right they want people with no "personal" issues and your flight cheif may use that against you.

Edit: Also you reenlist as YOUR SRB, this is a wide misunderstanding, but I was trying to cross-train into some comm job that had an SRB of 5.5 at the time, the reenlistment office said you'll get the SRB for the job you had, not what you're training into....so I stayed a knuckle dragger.

Hoosier Daddy
06-29-2004, 07:30 AM
You sure about that? Better make sure you dont have to have a clean record to be ATC...if I remember right they want people with no "personal" issues and your flight cheif may use that against you.

Edit: Also you reenlist as YOUR SRB, this is a wide misunderstanding, but I was trying to cross-train into some comm job that had an SRB of 5.5 at the time, the reenlistment office said you'll get the SRB for the job you had, not what you're training into....so I stayed a knuckle dragger.

Ah, incorrect grasshoppa, you see, i will be extending my enlistment 9 months or so, and after I have completed tech school, I will THEN re-enlist. I will officially be a 3-level ATC by then, and as such, I will be reenlisting as an ATC, not a supply troop...meaning i get the ATC SRB.

Also, UIF is off my record in October, all LOC's are not in my PIF, the LOR is, but its for BS reason, so i can get away with that. My flight chief has already recommended me for ATC.

79Cutlas
06-29-2004, 07:34 AM
Ah, incorrect grasshoppa, you see, i will be extending my enlistment 9 months or so, and after I have completed tech school, I will THEN re-enlist. I will officially be a 3-level ATC by then, and as such, I will be reenlisting as an ATC, not a supply troop...meaning i get the ATC SRB.

Also, UIF is off my record in October, all LOC's are not in my PIF, the LOR is, but its for BS reason, so i can get away with that. My flight chief has already recommended me for ATC.

Cool, I didnt remember the details, but as long as you extend you're right.....I know what you mean about the LOC's not being in your PIF. I had a dozen or so LOC's and a couple LOR's from my dip**** supervisor for things like "disrespect for authority" when it was only him being an ass I had a problem with. In my PIF from the orderly room there was only my 1 LOR from a few years ago, there was even less in my PIF at records...

Hoosier Daddy
06-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Cool, I didnt remember the details, but as long as you extend you're right.....I know what you mean about the LOC's not being in your PIF. I had a dozen or so LOC's and a couple LOR's from my dip**** supervisor for things like "disrespect for authority" when it was only him being an ass I had a problem with. In my PIF from the orderly room there was only my 1 LOR from a few years ago, there was even less in my PIF at records...

Ya but i'm not counting on actually being able to...i've decided the AF hates me...already been denied for palace chase and misc. seperation, even under the force shaping program...

chkaotic
06-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Yah you need their little PT black running shorts along with that.. next time dont grab the gray army shirt and you're cool :D

Lessk
06-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Ok, those last few posts got me really lost...I don't know da lingo.

Toonz
06-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Ok, I'm not reading this whole thread.... but, at Kandahar we had several civilan guys that wore DCU pants, boots, and hats with a civilian t-shirt. They worked in this every day. Ocasionally they would get questioned by the military guys, but it was a little obvious they weren't military (longer hair, facial hair, etc). Anyways, nothing was ever said about it other than the ocasional questions. The fact that they weren't military made it ok for them to wear that stuff. I know that it's harder to distinguish military from civilian when you're a woman, but after a while people there will recognize you and you won't be questioned about it anymore.

Short version: You are a civilian, you CAN wear an ARMY t-shirt with shorts/jeans, you just have to put up with the questions/yelling. Just be quick to point out that you aren't in the military. :)

Molly
06-30-2004, 01:23 PM
They can tell me apart because I always wear my hair down or in a ponytail. Most military females wear a bun and never have their hair down or even halfway loose. Also, I wear jeans and tennis shoes. Not to mention this HUGE badge I have hanging from my neck that says "ARMY CONTRACTOR". Hmmmm. I dunno, I put that shirt and my Air Force shirt up just in case although I saw some guys walking around with their Air Force shirts on today. One of the guys I work with suggested I write SUCKS under ARMY and wear the shirt. I didn't think that would be a good idea.

On another note I want to ask another question if anyone is still reading this thread. All the guys I work with are REALLY crude and distrubing. There is one guy (I won't even describe him because of certain people on this board may say something for me) that has been flirting with me and confessed tonight that he always flirts and has been eyeing several military females here (which is strictly prohibited, but not enforced) while he has a girlfriend at home with a baby. This guy is disturbing to me because of the way he acts. Then today he came up to me after Bud left from his visit and was like "So did you get some?" Now, if this was a buddy asking jokingly I would laugh it off. However, he was serious and acted kinda excited by it (his room is right across from mine). Some of the guys say stuff like "Bud's coming to lick his Muffin (me)". It seriously bothers me and I thought of going to my site supervisor, but he's the one saying it. I try to laugh it off but it's embarassing. Should I just let it go?

budguy1967
06-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I would let it go and keep the conversations to business only. Dont reply to personal conversations with him, just act like you didnt hear him. If it continues, talk to him about it...if that doesnt deter him, then contact someone above him, or your ITT contact.

You certainly dont want to worsen the situation if you can help it, as a site supervisor can make your life hell if he is pissed.