WichitaRacing.com Forums  

Go Back   WichitaRacing.com Forums > General Discussion > Pit Stop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
ninjaboy76
Senior Member
105 octane
 
ninjaboy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BFE
Posts: 491
ninjaboy76 is on a distinguished road
Trump for President?

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/trum...1/30/id/384427

I know the guys out there, but he hits some nails on the head .
ninjaboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
87Saleen209
Stangtastic
Nitromethane
 
87Saleen209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,778
87Saleen209 is on a distinguished road
I agree to a point on a lot of stuff he said, but I also don't see him as someone with "real world" experience and credibility in a lot of the matters (regarding military, foreign policey, etc), but I'm not an expert either. Do I think people would actually vote for him? No.
__________________
Jeremy G
87Saleen209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
J
Just Chillin
Nitromethane
 
J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wichita
Posts: 5,256
J is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Saleen209 View Post
I agree to a point on a lot of stuff he said, but I also don't see him as someone with "real world" experience and credibility in a lot of the matters (regarding military, foreign policey, etc), but I'm not an expert either. Do I think people would actually vote for him? No.
I agree with the Military and foreign policy bits but right now i think the best thing for this country would be to have someone in the white house that understands Economics and can get the budget under control. We have focused so much on Foreign policy and Military but yet here we are still screaming about the one things that rules them all.... Money.

A strong business brain and someone who understands how to manage large sums of money would be a massive asset right now.

Am i saying that is Trump? No. But i am excited to see if more Wealthy Money tycoons start voicing their opinions.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
87Saleen209
Stangtastic
Nitromethane
 
87Saleen209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,778
87Saleen209 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
I agree with the Military and foreign policy bits but right now i think the best thing for this country would be to have someone in the white house that understands Economics and can get the budget under control. We have focused so much on Foreign policy and Military but yet here we are still screaming about the one things that rules them all.... Money.

A strong business brain and someone who understands how to manage large sums of money would be a massive asset right now.

Am i saying that is Trump? No. But i am excited to see if more Wealthy Money tycoons start voicing their opinions.
I agree. But, in order to shrink the budget on the military, you have to shrink our workload too. At this current tempo, we are worn thin and have very few good pieces of equipment. There's no way that they can just shrink the military budget any further without minimizing the military mission worldwide. They are stretching us too thin already.

So, I guess the only way to effectively shrink the military budget would be to end all wars and minimize our presence in the Middle East. I don't see that happening for a long long time.

Another thing is, Obama may not know a lot about handling large amounts of deficit, etc, but he doesn't make these decisions on his own. For every type of issue that we have in the United States, there is an advisor and team for that. The Congress et all influence and control a lot of these areas and lobbyists have influence. I think the system needs a fix before we can see any real progress. Corporate/Upper gov't America has become way too focused on themselves for anyone to give a dang about the common America, in my opinion of course. Maybe that's why Obama was leaning towards socialism?? I don't know.
__________________
Jeremy G

Last edited by 87Saleen209; 01-31-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
87Saleen209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
J
Just Chillin
Nitromethane
 
J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wichita
Posts: 5,256
J is on a distinguished road
Right. His advisor team is obviously comprised of people that are not very skilled in taking on a task such as our debt.

I was very excited when Ross Perot was running. Granted he was a bit crazy it still got me thinking about how it might be smart to start running this country like a large business (Since that is what our world has become). If we were to start making spending choices like any large enterprise does today we would have money again. Instead we keep spending like "Well we can just make more". If any other business spent like the American government spends they would be out of business in the first year.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
jkirkku
Senior Member
108 octane
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Andover/Lawrence KS
Posts: 720
jkirkku is on a distinguished road
I would vote for Buffet no questions asked... I always thought that he and Gates would buy two countries and just run them like their own game of sorts. See who gets high score! I dont think he's interested in politics (unless they affect his business) though.

I dont know if i'd trust Trump but he does seem very pro-American which might be what we need instead of all of the Euro-jealousy.
jkirkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
87Saleen209
Stangtastic
Nitromethane
 
87Saleen209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,778
87Saleen209 is on a distinguished road
Would it make any sense to raise taxes on imports kind of like what Trump seems to talk about? That may encourage hiring within the US, but wouldn't it also raise prices?
__________________
Jeremy G
87Saleen209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
jkirkku
Senior Member
108 octane
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Andover/Lawrence KS
Posts: 720
jkirkku is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Saleen209 View Post
Would it make any sense to raise taxes on imports kind of like what Trump seems to talk about? That may encourage hiring within the US, but wouldn't it also raise prices?
Correct... it would also make other countries mad so they would do the same to us which would make our exports more expensive and possibly cost jobs. There are tarriffs on a lot of items, but there is no right answer as to how much to tax and encourage buying american without hurting exports. That is the study of economics! The free trade agreements are basically agreements against the tariffs which allow untaxed production from say Mexico into the U.S.

Tariffs and quotas on foreign autos are one thing that led to foreign cars being nicer. If you have to pay a tariff on every car and/or are limited on the number you can import, are you goign to send over your basic entry level with few high margin options or the luxury model where people overpay for features (5k for nav that costs less than 1k)? Yes, mercedes has an entry level model... no we dont get it here!
jkirkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
87Saleen209
Stangtastic
Nitromethane
 
87Saleen209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,778
87Saleen209 is on a distinguished road
Good info, I've never been to an economics class in my life, lol.
__________________
Jeremy G
87Saleen209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
J
Just Chillin
Nitromethane
 
J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wichita
Posts: 5,256
J is on a distinguished road
So then we stop purchasing those items and start making them locally. I would rather spend billions on America then billions on China.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
jkirkku
Senior Member
108 octane
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Andover/Lawrence KS
Posts: 720
jkirkku is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Saleen209 View Post
Good info, I've never been to an economics class in my life, lol.
Thanks! It's not for everyone... I dont blame you! It can really break things down into logical numbers instead of feeligns and hopes and dreams.

As far as buying all American... that is kind of short sighted and a total isolationist policy would hurt us more. Why spend .80 on a mcdonald's toy made in america when you can spend .15 in china and another 25 in shipping? Lowering/simplifying/eliminating the corporate tax, tax structure and sarbanes would lead to more quality American Jobs and investment. Would you rather work at a Mcdonalds toy factory or a corporate headquarters?
jkirkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
J
Just Chillin
Nitromethane
 
J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wichita
Posts: 5,256
J is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkku View Post
Thanks! It's not for everyone... I dont blame you! It can really break things down into logical numbers instead of feeligns and hopes and dreams.

As far as buying all American... that is kind of short sighted and a total isolationist policy would hurt us more. Why spend .80 on a mcdonald's toy made in america when you can spend .15 in china and another 25 in shipping? Lowering/simplifying/eliminating the corporate tax, tax structure and sarbanes would lead to more quality American Jobs and investment. Would you rather work at a Mcdonalds toy factory or a corporate headquarters?
Sure but not everyone is cut out for corporate headquarters. a toy factory would not be SO bad Always have something to play with over lunch.

Either way. I think our leaders need to start running this country and it's choices regarding large scale spending as more then just "We have the duty as America to do it! Never mind the cost!" and getting us stuck in that same "Spend first and figure out how to pay for it later" mode. We never circle back around and "Figure out how to pay for it".

Some serious thought and actual work to re-coop the cost of monies spent needs to start going on. If that means taking some of the Federal "Top heavy" expense and liquidating.. then that is what that means.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
55Delray
broke.....
I need a life.
 
55Delray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: ATL baby
Posts: 10,329
55Delray is on a distinguished road
id vote for him. he knows business.
__________________
Quote:
Make it three yards Motherfu(ker and we’ll have an auto-mo-beel race
55Delray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
thechemist
Thechemist
108 octane
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 663
thechemist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Saleen209 View Post
Another thing is, Obama may not know a lot about handling large amounts of deficit, etc, but he doesn't make these decisions on his own. For every type of issue that we have in the United States, there is an advisor and team for that. The Congress et all influence and control a lot of these areas and lobbyists have influence. I think the system needs a fix before we can see any real progress. Corporate/Upper gov't America has become way too focused on themselves for anyone to give a dang about the common America, in my opinion of course. Maybe that's why Obama was leaning towards socialism?? I don't know.
Yes, Socialism is where we would be if the libs continued control of the house, senate, and executive branches.

100% true about how Obama doesn't make these decisions alone. Instead, he inlists more libs like himself to help make these piss poor decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkku View Post
Thanks! It's not for everyone... I dont blame you! It can really break things down into logical numbers instead of feeligns and hopes and dreams.

As far as buying all American... that is kind of short sighted and a total isolationist policy would hurt us more.... Would you rather work at a Mcdonalds toy factory or a corporate headquarters?
Really? Short sighted isolationist policy? Toy factory worker=bad.... corporate headquarters=good????

How about realizing everyone is given different talents in this world. This whole "I'm too good for that job" mentality is part of what's hurting this country. I guess you would have America as a Service country as our entire GDP? Sorry buddy. That won't cut it.

Yes, build it here. Build everything here. Same goes for your China example. Build it here, it costs a little more. Now that money is still in our economy and that tax basin is still there. Now you have a toy factory worker AND a corporate HQ manager type overseeing this operation. Now we are exporting those goods because my company invested in new ways of manufacturing. Now the greatest minds in every industry want to live and work in America.

Now there's more money to go around. Now we're not borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Now the government can invest in ways to make things faster with less staffing, etc, etc, etc....

Build America. Buy America.

That aside.... It only mankes sense for companies to move over seas. There is ZERO guarantees doing business here. What will taxes be next year/5 years? How much will I have to pay per employee for health care next year/5 years? What new EPA rules will they make up? What new regulations will there be to build? What would I have to do to expand my business? etc, etc, etc.

If the markets controlled manufacturing and the government didn't hurt business it wouldn't be so expensive to build/buy American. (Unions play a large role also, but that's a different rant).

I love America and Wichita.
__________________
2009 Pontiac G8 GT


Last edited by thechemist; 01-31-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
jkirkku
Senior Member
108 octane
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Andover/Lawrence KS
Posts: 720
jkirkku is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechemist View Post
Really? Short sighted isolationist policy? Toy factory worker=bad.... corporate headquarters=good????

How about realizing everyone is given different talents in this world. This whole "I'm too good for that job" mentality is part of what's hurting this country. I guess you would have America as a Service country as our entire GDP? Sorry buddy. That won't cut it.

Yes, build it here. Build everything here. Same goes for your China example. Build it here, it costs a little more. Now that money is still in our economy and that tax basin is still there. Now you have a toy factory worker AND a corporate HQ manager type overseeing this operation. Now we are exporting those goods because my company invested in new ways of manufacturing. Now the greatest minds in every industry want to live and work in America.

Now there's more money to go around. Now we're not borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Now the government can invest in ways to make things faster with less staffing, etc, etc, etc....

Build America. Buy America. ...

Short version... what you'll probably read:
First and foremost, youre getting hung up on the Mcdonalds toy... it is not specific, it can be any low cost, high labor item that would not be produced if it were not for china. In this instance, if a toy costs too much, mcdonadls wont add it to the meal, the toy doesnt need to be made, those jobs would never exist in America! We are giving nothing to them other then non-backed paper currency. Another example is Mardi Gras beads, they are thrown around constantly here and cost next to nothinig. How many less do you think would be thrown if their price doubled, tripled? 10x? 20x? The demand only exhists for these items now because of the cost. Raise the price, lower the demand, jobs dissapear(or in this case never exhisted).

Now the long part you probably wont:
Yes really... youre idea is great except for one thing. You can't export if you have such an extreme isolationist policy.. who would buy from you? Are you goign to make McDonalds toys that much better than anyone else with your "new manufacturing process" that they will ignore your trade policy and pay higher prices? No one will buy your Mcdonalds toy because they can all go to China and buy the same toy or the toy will cost too much to give away! Except in your scenario Mcdonalds would only operate in America because forget the rest of world! You left REALITY out of your plan. China is here. Be it business or economics... both tell us to put our resources into the most profitable thing. Right now trinkets are not the most profitable thing to us. How PC are you trying to be that you can't acknowledge the fact that 25 low paying, high labor jobs with 5-10 medium managment paying jobs are better than 25 medium management jobs with 5-10 upper managment jobs and a few entry level maintenance/reception jobs? CALL ME WHAT YOU WANT, YES, IN THIS INSTANCE YOUR MATH WAS CORRECT. I think Americans are more than capable of stepping up to new types of and more complex manufacturing jobs as well as the jobs you seem to look down on as service jobs.

Service industry as our entire GDP... no, but it is the leading export. I'd rather be exporting something than nothing. Would you rather trade off all of our natural resources for non backed paper money and electronic transfers? Services and technology are good things to export! A service requires no raw materials... we can trade them for all sorts of things, many of which require natural resources! Less goes out of our country and more comes back in! My point is not that Americans are too good for toy building jobs, it's that for certain jobs it is cheaper and easier to manufacture elsewhere, and if we dont we are only hurting ourselves economically and wasting resources.

And as far as Americans being too good for jobs. Are you too good to walk to a river and fetch your daily water? would you do it if you had to? of course you would! (I hope)... Do you want to? It's called progress. It doesnt have to be a mcdonalds toy, it could be Mardi Gras beads as well, certain types of mining etc.... so many things that are labor intensive and yet low value. Items that would not be so popular if they were not made cheaply by china. I am not belittling all manufacturing jobs, just the ones that produce low value items with high labor cost.

It's also funny how you clearly separate your rant from reality. This is such a broad topic for you to pull your, "I love america and if you disagree with me youre obama" line. I love this country and this state too. That's why I started a business here instead of leaving for a job elsewhere. U.S. Companies open divisions and move headquarters to countries with lower tax bases. Guess what happens if we lower the tax base... other countries will move things here and U.S. companies have no incentive to leave. We should really be workign to attract more of this from Europe. More jobs, more foreign money stays here. I think you just want to rant the headlines instead of looking at it and having a reasonable discussion... You're trying to make this a fox news conversation instead of a CNBC or Bloomberg one where it is much less dramatic and much more fitting.
jkirkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.